We are THRILLED to welcome the brilliant Emily X.R. Pan to our family of BKMRK authors! To celebrate the upcoming publication of her first novel, we asked her a few important questions…
- If I were to be stranded on a desert island, my one luxury item would be… A fully-stocked library… What? Is that cheating?
- The first album I ever bought… The Titanic soundtrack. (Does that count as an album? It was my first CD!) The score felt like magic, and is probably a huge part of the reason why now as a grown-up I like to listen to film scores while I write. Also, I was obsessed with “My Heart Will Go On.”
- The book I’ve read the most times… I think it must be The Golden Compass (published as Northern Lights in the UK) by Philip Pullman. I wanted to be Lyra.
- The book I always recommend to others… Everything I Never told You, by Celeste Ng.
- The item I have more of than anything else… Books! Duh! But also, fun fact: I have eight violins.
- The book (by another author) that I wish I had written… I’ll Give You The Sun, by Jandy Nelson.
- The one piece of advice I would give my teenage self… I would give younger Emily permission to spend more time daydreaming, and less time worrying about being high achieving.
- My favourite city in the world… New York. It’s why I live here! But close seconds are Taipei, Shanghai, and Paris.
- The best thing about being a writer… There’s always a story spinning away inside my head. And while it’s still being learned and shaped and shined up, it belongs only to me—the most delicious secret.
- The Hogwarts house I belong to is… There is not a single cell in my body that doesn’t belong in Ravenclaw. (Well okay, there are maybe a few hairs on my head that actually belong in Slytherin. Maybe.)
Emily X.R. Pan’s debut novel THE ASTONISHING COLOUR OF AFTER publishes in March.